The 2016 NFL Draft was a critical juncture for the Baltimore Ravens, a franchise renowned for its drafting acumen. This article delves into the potential selections and strategies the Ravens might have employed, based on various 2016 mock drafts and expert analyses.
- Reinforcing the Offensive Line: The Ravens’ offensive line was one of the primary areas of concern heading into the 2016 draft. Mock drafts frequently linked them to top tackle prospects, including Laremy Tunsil from Ole Miss and Ronnie Stanley from Notre Dame. Both players were touted for their ability to solidify the blindside and protect quarterback Joe Flacco.
- Boosting the Pass Rush: Another area of focus for the Ravens was enhancing their pass rush. Players like Joey Bosa from Ohio State and DeForest Buckner from Oregon were popular choices in mock drafts, given their collegiate production and potential to develop into elite NFL pass rushers.
- Addressing the Secondary: Improving the secondary was also a key priority for the Ravens. Cornerbacks like Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves III and Florida State’s Jalen Ramsey were highly regarded and frequently mentioned in mock drafts as potential fits for Baltimore’s defensive scheme.
- Finding Wide Receiver Help: Providing Joe Flacco with more weapons at wide receiver was another area the Ravens could address. Mock drafts linked them to top prospects like Laquon Treadwell from Ole Miss and Corey Coleman from Baylor, both of whom had the potential to become go-to targets in the Ravens’ passing game.
- Uncovering Late-Round Gems: The Ravens have a storied history of finding talent in the later rounds of the draft, and 2016 was expected to be no different. Mock drafts highlighted players that could provide value and depth, helping to round out a roster in need of an infusion of young talent.
Conclusion: The 2016 NFL Draft was a critical opportunity for the Baltimore Ravens to address key areas of need and add young talent to their roster. Mock drafts provided fans and analysts alike with insights into the potential strategies and player selections that the Ravens might pursue. While these predictions were speculative, they added to the anticipation and excitement leading up to the draft, as the Ravens aimed to lay the groundwork for future success.