Jessie Bates III has quickly established himself as one of the best safeties in the NFL and is on his way to becoming a Pro Bowl regular. The Cincinnati Bengals’ third-year player has been a standout performer since his rookie season and has continuously improved each year, solidifying his place among the league’s top defensive players. In this article, we will discuss Jessie Bates III’s path to the Pro Bowl, his skills and achievements, and how he can continue to excel in the upcoming seasons.
Jessie Bates III Pro Bowl: Becoming an Elite Safety
Early Years and College Career
Born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Jessie Bates III began his football journey at Snider High School, where he played both offense and defense. He excelled at wide receiver, but it was his abilities as a safety that caught the attention of college recruiters. After receiving multiple offers, Bates decided to attend Wake Forest University, where he would continue to hone his skills and prepare for a potential NFL career.
At Wake Forest, Bates quickly established himself as a force to be reckoned with on the field. In his sophomore season, he recorded 100 tackles, five interceptions, and four pass breakups, earning first-team All-ACC honors. He followed up his impressive performance with another standout junior year, tallying 77 tackles, six pass breakups, and two interceptions. These exceptional numbers caught the eye of NFL scouts, and Bates decided to forego his senior season and enter the 2018 NFL Draft.
Rising Star in the NFL
The Cincinnati Bengals selected Jessie Bates III in the second round of the 2018 draft, and he immediately made an impact on the team. In his rookie season, he started all 16 games and finished with 111 tackles, seven pass deflections, and three interceptions. His outstanding performance earned him a spot on the PFWA All-Rookie Team and recognition as one of the top young defensive players in the league.
Bates’ stellar rookie year was just the beginning of his rise to stardom. In his second season, he improved upon his numbers, recording 100 tackles, 15 pass deflections, and three interceptions. He also earned his first Pro Bowl selection, solidifying himself as one of the best safeties in the NFL. And in his third year, Bates continued his dominance, finishing with 109 tackles, 14 pass deflections, and a career-high five interceptions. He received his second Pro Bowl nod and established himself as an elite safety in the league.
The Skills and Achievements of Jessie Bates III
Elite Coverage Skills
One of the main reasons for Jessie Bates III’s success is his exceptional coverage skills. He has a rare combination of speed, agility, and instincts that allow him to stay step-for-step with receivers and make plays on the ball. His ability to read the quarterback’s eyes and anticipate routes makes him a dangerous defender in coverage. According to Pro Football Focus, Bates allowed a completion percentage of just 50.8% in 2020, the best among all NFL safeties.
Apart from his coverage abilities, Bates is also a sure tackler, rarely missing tackles and often delivering bone-crushing hits. He is equally effective in run support and can quickly close gaps to stop runners in their tracks. His incredible range and tackling skills make him a versatile safety who can line up anywhere on the field and make an impact.
Awards and Honors
Jessie Bates III’s impressive play has not gone unnoticed, and he has been recognized for his talent and achievements throughout his career. In addition to his two Pro Bowl selections, Bates has also been named to the All-Pro Second Team (2020) and the PFWA All-Rookie Team (2018). He has also been nominated for various awards, including the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and the Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award.
High Football IQ and Leadership
Apart from his physical abilities, Jessie Bates III also possesses a high football IQ and is known for his leadership qualities on and off the field. He is often seen directing the defense and making adjustments based on the opposing team’s formation and tendencies. His intelligence and leadership have not only helped his own performance but have also elevated the play of those around him.
How to Use Jessie Bates III Pro Bowl
Jessie Bates III’s Pro Bowl status is a testament to his exceptional skills and achievements in the NFL. But how can players, coaches, and fans use his success as motivation or a learning tool?
- For Players: Aspiring safeties can study Bates’ tape and learn from his technique and instincts. His coverage skills and tackling form are worth emulating, and even experienced players can pick up valuable tips from watching him play.
- For Coaches: Coaches can use Jessie Bates III’s path to the Pro Bowl to motivate their players and teach them the importance of hard work, dedication, and continuous improvement. They can also use his film to highlight specific techniques and plays that their players can incorporate into their own game.
- For Fans: Fans can support Jessie Bates III and the Cincinnati Bengals by attending games, buying merchandise, and spreading the word about his accomplishments. His success serves as a source of pride for the Bengals organization and its fans, and the more recognition he receives, the more it will elevate the team’s profile.
Examples of Jessie Bates III Pro Bowl Performance
Jessie Bates III has had numerous standout performances throughout his young NFL career. Here are some examples of when he showed why he deserves to be a Pro Bowl safety:
- Week 3, 2020: In a matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles, Bates recorded a career-high 14 tackles and a game-sealing interception in the closing seconds. He was also named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance.
- Week 11, 2019: Facing the division rival Pittsburgh Steelers, Bates had a game-changing interception off quarterback Mason Rudolph that helped the Bengals secure their first win of the season.
- Week 6, 2018: In his rookie year, Jessie Bates III had a breakout game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, tallying nine tackles, two pass deflections, and an interception that he returned 21 yards for a touchdown.
Comparing Jessie Bates III to Other Pro Bowl Safeties
Jessie Bates III is often compared to other elite safeties in the league, and rightfully so. Here’s how he stacks up against some of the top players at his position:
- Minkah Fitzpatrick: In terms of coverage skills, both Bates and Fitzpatrick are among the best in the league. However, Bates has the edge in tackling ability and range, making him a more complete safety.
- Jamal Adams: While Adams is known for his physicality and blitzing prowess, Bates excels in coverage, which is becoming increasingly important in today’s pass-heavy NFL.
- Harrison Smith: Smith and Bates share many similarities in their play style, with both being reliable tacklers and excellent coverage safeties. However, Bates’ speed and agility give him the advantage in coverage and make him a more versatile defender.
Advice for Jessie Bates III on Sustaining Pro Bowl Success
As Jessie Bates III continues to establish himself as a Pro Bowl safety, it’s essential for him to stay focused and continue to improve his game. Here are some tips for him to maintain his success in the upcoming seasons:
- Stay healthy: One of the biggest factors that can hinder a player’s success is injuries. To stay at the top of his game, Bates will need to prioritize his physical health and take care of his body.
- Keep studying film: Studying film is crucial for any player looking to improve their game. Bates should continue to watch film on himself and other top safeties to refine his technique and learn more about opposing offenses.
- Be a leader: As one of the leaders on the Bengals’ defense, Jessie Bates III must continue to be vocal and lead by example. His intelligence and experience can help elevate the play of those around him.
FAQs about Jessie Bates III Pro Bowl
1. How many Pro Bowls has Jessie Bates III been selected for?
Jessie Bates III has been selected for two Pro Bowls in his three-year NFL career (2019, 2020).
2. What awards and honors has Jessie Bates III received?
In addition to his Pro Bowl selections, Jessie Bates III has been named to the All-Pro Second Team (2020) and the PFWA All-Rookie Team (2018). He has also been nominated for various awards, including the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and the Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award.
3. What makes Jessie Bates III an elite safety?
Jessie Bates III possesses exceptional coverage skills, tackling ability, and football IQ, making him a versatile and impactful defender. He also possesses leadership qualities that elevate the play of those around him.
4. How can players, coaches, and fans use Jessie Bates III’s success as motivation?
Players can study Bates’ game tape and learn from his techniques, coaches can use his story to motivate their players, and fans can support him and spread the word about his accomplishments.
5. How can Jessie Bates III continue to sustain Pro Bowl success?
To maintain his success, Jessie Bates III must prioritize his physical health, continue to study film, and be a leader on and off the field.
Explore the ultimate collection at the Atlanta Falcons Team Store, where you can find exclusive Falcons gear. Relive the glory days with the iconic Mike Vick Jersey, a must-have for any fan. Inspire young fans with the classic Deion Sanders Youth Jersey. Celebrate the legacy of great players like Buddy Curry and Tommy Nobis, whose jerseys are timeless tributes. Don’t miss out on the popular Koo Jersey and the stylish Bijan Robinson Jersey, perfect for showing your current team spirit. For the younger crowd, the Bijan Robinson Youth Jersey and Dee Alford Jersey are great additions. Also, honor the contribution of Grady Jarrett to the Falcons with a special jersey. Whether you’re a fan of the classics or the current roster, our store has everything to keep your Falcons pride alive.”