As the National Football League (NFL) continues to evolve and attract millions of fans worldwide, there are always exciting new players entering the league. One such player making his mark on the field is Matt Dickerson, a promising defensive end for the Tennessee Titans.
Born on November 25, 1996, in San Mateo, California, Matt Dickerson has always been passionate about football. He attended Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo, where he played both football and basketball. In high school, he was already showing signs of greatness, earning All-State honors in his senior year. After graduation, he went on to play college football at UCLA before being signed by the Titans in 2018 as an undrafted free agent.
With his impressive size, strength, and athleticism, Matt Dickerson has quickly made a name for himself in the NFL. In this article, we will take a deeper look into his journey, his accomplishments, and why he is a rising star to watch out for.
1. The Early Years: From High School to College
High School Career
In high school, Matt Dickerson established himself as a dominant force on the field. Standing at 6’5″ and weighing 277 pounds, he was an intimidating presence for opposing players. He played both defensive end and tight end, showcasing his versatility and athleticism.
Dickerson’s junior year was when he truly started attracting attention from college recruiters. He recorded 83 tackles, six sacks, and four forced fumbles, earning All-State honors. His senior year was even more impressive, with 96 tackles, seven sacks, and three blocked kicks. He also played in the prestigious U.S. Army All-American Bowl, solidifying his place as one of the top recruits in the country.
After receiving numerous scholarship offers, Matt Dickerson chose to attend UCLA. In his freshman year, he played in all 12 games and recorded 16 tackles and one sack. He continued to improve in the following years, becoming a key member of the Bruins’ defensive line.
One of his most memorable performances was in his senior year against Arizona, where he had seven tackles, two sacks, and a forced fumble. Despite missing some games due to injury, he still managed to record 24 tackles, five sacks, and one interception during his final season at UCLA.
2. Making an Impact in the NFL
Signing with the Titans
After going undrafted in the 2018 NFL Draft, Matt Dickerson signed with the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent. He impressed coaches during training camp and made the team’s 53-man roster for the 2018 season.
In his rookie season, Dickerson appeared in 10 games, mainly playing on special teams. He recorded nine tackles and his first career sack against the Indianapolis Colts. He also showed his ability to stop the run, earning praise from his coaches for his strength and technique.
A Promising Future
Heading into his third season with the Titans, Matt Dickerson is expected to have a more significant role on the team’s defense. With his size and athleticism, he has the potential to become a dominant force on the field. His coaches have praised his work ethic and willingness to learn, making him a valuable asset to the team.
3. How to Utilize Matt Dickerson’s Skills on the Field
Being a versatile player, Matt Dickerson can be utilized in various ways on the field. Here are some ways that coaches can use his skills to their advantage:
- Defensive End: Standing at 6’5″ and weighing 292 pounds, Matt Dickerson is well-suited to play as a traditional defensive end. He has the size, strength, and technique to hold his ground against offensive linemen and disrupt plays in the backfield.
- Defensive Tackle: With his quickness and agility, Dickerson can also play as a defensive tackle, using his athleticism to penetrate gaps and make tackles behind the line of scrimmage.
- Special Teams: In addition to his role on defense, Matt Dickerson is also a valuable member of the Titans’ special teams unit. Coaches can use him as a blocker for field goals and extra points or as a gunner on punt coverage.
4. Comparing Matt Dickerson to Other NFL Players
While it’s still early in his career, Matt Dickerson has shown flashes of potential and abilities similar to some notable NFL players. Here are some comparisons that have been made between Dickerson and other established players:
- J.J. Watt: Many have compared Matt Dickerson to J.J. Watt, the three-time Defensive Player of the Year for the Houston Texans. Both players have a similar build and skill set, excelling at both rushing the passer and stopping the run.
- Calais Campbell: Another comparison that has been made is to Calais Campbell, a five-time Pro Bowler and All-Pro defensive end for the Baltimore Ravens. Like Dickerson, Campbell is known for his versatility and ability to play multiple positions on the defensive line.
5. Advice from the Experts: How Matt Dickerson Can Reach His Full Potential
As with any young player in the NFL, there is always room for improvement. Here are some areas that experts believe Matt Dickerson can work on to reach his full potential:
- Consistency: While Matt Dickerson has shown flashes of brilliance, he needs to become more consistent in his performances. He has the physical tools to excel at the professional level; he just needs to bring his A-game each week.
- Developing Pass Rush Moves: While Dickerson has shown an ability to get to the quarterback, he needs to add more pass rush moves to his repertoire. Developing a variety of techniques will make him even more of a threat on the field.
- Staying Healthy: Throughout his high school and college career, Matt Dickerson had some injury concerns that caused him to miss games. To reach his full potential in the NFL, he needs to stay healthy and be available for his team week in and week out.
FAQs about Matt Dickerson and His Career
1. Is Matt Dickerson from a football family?
No, Matt Dickerson is not from a football family. However, both his parents were athletes in their respective sports (basketball and track), so he grew up with an athletic background.
2. Which other schools offered Matt Dickerson a scholarship?
Matt Dickerson received offers from top programs such as Notre Dame, USC, and Oregon before ultimately choosing UCLA.
3. What are Matt Dickerson’s hobbies outside of football?
Off the field, Matt Dickerson enjoys spending time with family and friends, playing video games, and watching movies.
4. Does Matt Dickerson have any personal goals for his career?
Yes, one of Matt Dickerson’s main goals is to help his team win a Super Bowl. He also wants to become one of the best defensive players in the NFL and earn Pro Bowl and All-Pro honors.
5. Has Matt Dickerson ever played against his former UCLA teammate, Josh Rosen?
Yes, Matt Dickerson faced off against Josh Rosen in Week 15 of the 2019 NFL season when the Titans played the Miami Dolphins.
Conclusion: Matt Dickerson – A Rising Star in the NFL
As we have seen, Matt Dickerson’s journey from high school to the NFL has been filled with hard work, determination, and a love for the game. With his physical abilities and potential, he is well on his way to becoming a dominant force in the NFL. With continued improvement and development, Matt Dickerson has the potential to become one of the league’s top defensive players. Fans and coaches alike are excited to see what the future holds for this rising star in the world of football – Matt Dickerson of the Tennessee Titans.
Show your team spirit with the latest Kansas City Chiefs Home Jersey from the official Watts Chiefs Jersey store. Dress your future star in the Isiah Pacheco Youth Jersey, perfect for young fans cheering on their favorite running back. Capture the energy of the game with the dynamic Rashee Rice Jersey and the versatile Chamarri Conner Jersey. Stand strong with the robust Dontari Poe Jersey and the agile Trent McDuffie Jersey. Young fans will love the Rashee Rice Youth Jersey, a symbol of growing talent. Lead the line with the durable Creed Humphrey Jersey and show your speed with the Mecole Hardman Jersey. For the young fans, the Travis Kelce Youth Jersey is a perfect way to join in the excitement. Each piece from our collection celebrates the spirit and resilience of the Chiefs, making you ready for game day.
Celebrate the Kansas City Chiefs’ journey to the Super Bowl LVIII with the premium collection from Watts Chiefs Jersey. Gear up with the Isiah Pacheco Super Bowl Jersey, perfect for young fans cheering on their new favorite player. Feel the excitement with the dynamic Rashee Rice Super Bowl Jersey and the solid Chamarri Conner Super Bowl Jersey. Showcase your defense pride with the Dontari Poe Super Bowl Jersey and the rising Trent McDuffie Super Bowl Jersey. Command the line with the Creed Humphrey Super Bowl Jersey and support the speed with the Mecole Hardman Super Bowl Jersey. Lead the cheers with the Travis Kelce Super Bowl Jersey, a symbol of dedication and passion. Each jersey is more than a piece of apparel; it’s a piece of history, ready to be worn as you cheer on the Chiefs to victory